Have you ever wondered what questions you should ask yourself to get a better understanding of yourself in your working environment? Asking yourself powerful questions is a simple way to help you hone your leadership strengths. The way you are perceived as a leader by your colleagues, peers, staff and customers all have an impact on your effectiveness at work. That is why it is important to know yourself – including your strengths and weaknesses.
Leadership coach Rebecca Hourston, in her article published on the Forbes website, suggests seven steps every leader should take to build an effective leadership style.
Here they are:
- Be bold
- Consciously play to your natural strengths
- Stretch your leadership style
- Set direction
- Recognise the contribution of others
- Be balanced
- Be true to you
What I find especially interesting in her article, are the questions she suggests we should all use while putting our leadership skills into action. Here are some of those questions:
- Notice what you already contribute to your team, and what they need more of from you to bring out their best.
- What elements of your personality could you allow to shine through more?
Where could you be bolder?
- What might the unintended impact of my action be?
- Review the blend of strengths in your team or organisation and how could you use these better?
Think what worked well about your style of leadership. Actively use them more the following week.
I believe that these questions and tips allow us to do one more thing: to expand beyond our default leadership style when situation demands.
To read the full article visit: http://tinyurl.com/joukrs7