In a recent article entitled “The Skill to Sharpen Leadership”, in Forbes magazine, journalist Lisa Quast write about 10 skills that every manager needs to hone in order to develop their leadership skills. She reminds managers that in order to become true leaders, they should not only learn from those who inspire them, but they should also learn to lift up and develop their people.
To sharpen your leadership skills, Lisa recommends the following:
- Work on your soft skills, be excellent communicator and listener
- Develop the right mindset with a “can-do” attitude
- Improve your project management skills
- Earn respect from co-workers and lead by example
- Learn from leaders who inspire you.
- Be adaptable in the face of change and stay cool collected when facing adversity
- Lift up your co-workers
- Be a strategic thinker and learn how to solve problems
- Learn to delegate.
- Have humility and recognise you will never be perfect. It will make you likable and trustworthy and you will enjoy your career more.
You can read her article with the list of leadership skills Lisa recommends you to acquire